Looking for a lost recipe? Visit www.heritagerecipes.com ...or if you have a family recipe to share, contact http://www.heritagerecipes.com/Submit-recipe.htm
Now you can print out your favorite RocknRecipes! Print

Sunday, March 27, 2011

My mother's recipe box

Many would agree that quilting and cooking do go hand-in-hand.  This afternoon, I rediscovered my mother's recipe box.  You know, the one with Great Aunt Ruth's special butter pickles recipe and a hand-written recipe from Aunt Bertha to Grandma Adeline for Brown Sugar Cake.



This box fills my mind with wonderful memories and I thought that it is worthy of its own blog here in blogland.

So, the following idea came to me:  why not write out these pencil-written, very worn, somewhat torn and disintegrating recipes from years ago here on this blog for not only my family and I to enjoy, but also you, the readers in blogland.  This will be much less expensive than publishing a book, but it will be 'published' nonetheless, and for family and friends to enjoy.



Thank you for joining me here.

I hope you'll enjoy these recipes as much as my family has enjoyed them.

Mary Ann @ RocknRecipes-RocknQuilts

Sour Cream Cake 
(marked with a Very Good)

Grandmother Margarethe Block PS  Please take the time to sift your flour twice with a sifter, as Gma did, otherwise the cake will turn out heavy.






two eggs, beaten
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sour cream (this is fresh, whole "farm" cream that has gone sour, not the sour cream in the supermarket)
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp soda in cream
1 tsp cinnamon
flour for ordinary cake batter, 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 cups, start with less and add more, depending upon humidity
This batch makes 2 layers and is good with brown sugar frosting


As written by my Great Grandmother Margarethe 'Maggie' Block.


Brown Sugar Frosting

  • 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar

  • 1 tablespoon white corn syrup

  • 2 tablespoons water

  • 1 cup powdered sugar

Cook the ingredients except powdered sugar in a heavy cast iron skill until smooth.  Take off the heat and beat in the sugar.  Spoon over your cake.  Frosting hardens when it cools.



3 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Bring on the Recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got around 150 to share, and just published the first one - my great grandmother's "Sour Cream Cake" with "Brown Sugar Frosting" - your husband is going to be smiling :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog makes me smile and cry all in the same breath!
    Did you see this post I did.. I hold my loved ones near and dear too..
    http://runwithglitter.blogspot.com/2011/03/ideas-needed-for-threads-of-love-craft.html

    ReplyDelete